LAST UPDATED: February 9, 2023
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT FROM THE PEOPLE THAT VISIT OUR WEBSITE?
Information we collect includes, but is not limited to, your phone number, device identifier and hardware information, name, address, email, title, company name, IP address, browser type and language, cookie information, social media information, system type, access times, referring website URLs, pages visited and other activity on the Surface Shields website, information about your purchases and more.
Personal Information.You can visit the Site without submitting your personal information to us but you will be required to provide your personal information in order to use certain other tools and features of the Site. We will collect any personal information from or about you that you choose to provide to us, which may include, without limitation, your first and last name, physical address, telephone number, email address, and payment information. To sign up for an account on the Site, where that option is available, you may be required or given the opportunity to provide additional types of information (as described below).
Requests for Information, Quotes, Support. To contact us for more information, quotes for our applicable products and services, or to request support via the Site, you will need to provide your contact information (for example, your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, etc.) as applicable, details of the products or services, the company you work for, and the subject matter in which you are interested.
Live Chat. If you use the chat or messaging feature on the Services, we will collect all text and other information and content that you may provide or input using those features.
Job Applications. If you submit a resume, job application, or related materials or other information to us, we may use that information to evaluate your qualifications and consider or respond to your inquiry or application. Your submission of a resume, job application, or related information does not in any way require us to review that information or consider you for employment. To view career opportunities or to submit a job application, you may be redirected to an online career portal operated by a third party. We encourage you to review any terms and privacy policies posted on that portal (if applicable).
Marketing Communications. If you sign up or otherwise opt in to receive blog updates, promotions, or other communications from us, you will need to provide your email address. We will use this information to send you updates and promotional and other electronic communications. You may opt out of receiving updates and other emails from us at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the applicable email. We may use third-party email providers to deliver these communications to you.
WHEN DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION?
We collect information from you when you subscribe to a newsletter, request products, request pricing, request to locate a distributor, dealer or retailer, submit an inquiry, respond to a survey, open a Support Ticket or enter information using any other type of form on our site.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
- To personalize your experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our website in order to better serve you.
- To quickly process your general inquiries, support tickets, product request, distributor location requests and pricing requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion or survey.
- To ask for ratings and reviews of services or products.
- To send you administrative messages and other Surface Shields information.
- To create aggregate information for our legitimate business purposes.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails:
Follow the instructions at the bottom of each email and we will promptly remove you from our email marketing list.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from calling or direct mail campaigns:
Please contact Surface Shields at [email protected] or call 708-854-1602.
Sharing with Affiliated Entities. Based on how you use our Site and the information that you provide to or request from us, we share your name, contact information, and other collected information with affiliated companies. Affiliated companies can contact you directly with respect to products and services that you may be interested in. You can opt out of receiving communications from any such affiliated company pursuant to that affiliate’s own policies. You may opt out of receiving communications from us by contracting us using the information below under “Contacting Us.”
Business Transaction. If Surface Shields undergoes a change in control, acquisition, merger, reorganization, or asset sale (in whole or in part), we may transfer, sell, share, or otherwise disclose Collected Information to the subsequent owner(s) or successor(s) of those transactions. We may also disclose Collected Information in connection with the evaluation of those transactions.
Lawful Processes, Security & Protection of Rights. We may use and share Collected Information as required or permitted in accordance with subpoenas, court orders, valid law enforcement requests, governmental agency requests, and other legal processes. We may use Collected Information and share it with third parties if we believe doing so is necessary or appropriate to protect our rights or the rights of others, including disclosing information as necessary to protect our operations, to enforce or bring legal action in the event of a violation of our agreements or policies, or to pursue remedies or limit damages that we may sustain.
- Identifiers: including but not limited to name, telephone number, address, age, email address, or date of birth;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information: including but not limited to computer and connection information, IP address, and cookies and other tracking technologies described further above; and
- Inferences: drawn from the above categories of personal information.
The categories of third parties to which we may share the above categories of information, include, without limitation:
- Our affiliates and related entities;
- Third party service providers: including, but not limited to, data analytics and advertising providers, fraud prevention providers, cloud storage providers, IT service providers, delivery partners, and marketing companies; and
- Law enforcement
If you submit a product location request, general product inquiry, or pricing request, your contact information will likely be passed on to a distributor, dealer or retailer so they can assist with you. Also, if a case is submitted, a 3rd party will require your information to address the issue at hand. For example, a cleaning service would require your information if a product failed and they needed to contact you to schedule a cleaning. Information that is publicly shared may be used by Surface Shields for promotional purposes. By submitting information to us, you agree to publicly share a basic amount of information such as a username, nickname, city location or company name. Surface Shields cannot 100% guarantee the security of confidentiality of the information you provide us.
OTHER INFORMATION COLLECTED
As you navigate and use the Site, certain information can be passively collected—that is, gathered without the user actively providing the information or being concurrently made aware of the collection of information—using various technologies. We passively collect a variety of types of information in a variety of ways, including:
IP Addresses and Related Data. The servers used to operate and provide the Site may collect data pertaining to you and the equipment, software, and communication methods you use to access the Internet and the Site, including Internet protocol (“IP”) addresses assigned to the computers and other devices from where you access the Internet, your Internet service provider (ISP), device ID numbers and unique identifiers, your media access control (MAC) address, your operating system, your computer screen resolution, your web browser type, the pages you access on the Site, the websites you access before and after visiting the Site, the length of time you spend on the Site, date and time stamps, clickstream data, your approximate geographic location, performance statistics, and usage data. Surface Shields may use this information to administer the Site and its servers, to generate statistical information, to monitor and analyze Site traffic and usage patterns, to monitor and help prevent fraud, to investigate complaints and violations of our policies, and to improve the Site. We may combine this information with other Collected Information (including personal information) and information obtained from third parties for security reasons and to protect our rights or the rights of others. The suppliers that we use to provide the Site may collect information about your visits to the Site and other websites. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies as explained below under “Cookies and Tracking Technologies.”
- Help remember and process the items in the product request cart.
- Help remember field data when populating information into any of our web forms.
- Understand and save user’s preferences for future visits.
- Keep track of advertisements.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.
We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf. You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser’s Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. Changing your cookie preferences in one browser will not necessarily carry over to other browsers, so you may need to adjust your preferences each time you get a new computer, install a new browser, upgrade an existing browser, or alter or delete a browser’s cookie file. If you turn cookies off, some of the features that make your site experience more efficient may not function properly.
The types of information collected by a cookie and the purposes for which that information is used depends on the type of cookie. By way of illustration, the types of cookies used, the types of information collected by those cookies, and the purposes for which that information are used are described below. We may combine information collected by cookies with other Collected Information.
- Operationally necessary cookies (also called essential cookies). These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Site. For example, these cookies are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity, and improve security. They also allow users of the Site to make use of its functions. Without these cookies, features and services you have requested will not be able to be provided.
- Functional cookies. These cookies allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using the Site. This may include to remembering choices you make, for example, remembering your preferences or settings, remembering if you reacted to something on or through the Site so that you are not asked to react to it again, remembering if you have used any feature of the Site before, remembering your username or preferences, remembering if you have used any feature of the Site before, restricting the number of times you are shown a particular advertisement, and enabling social media components. If functional cookies are disabled, various functions of the Site may be unavailable to you or may not work the way you want them to.
- Performance cookies (also called analytical cookies). These cookies assess the performance of the Site, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how visitors use and interact with the Site, for example, which pages on our websites users visit most often. These cookies also enable us to personalize content and remember your preferences. These cookies help us improve the way our websites work and provide a better, personalized user experience.
- Advertising or targeted cookies. These cookies record your visits to the Site, the pages you visit on our websites, and the links you have clicked. They gather information about your browsing habits and remember that you have visited a particular website. Surface Shields and its third-party advertising platforms or networks may use this information to make the Site and its content more relevant to your interests (this is sometimes called “behavioral” or “targeted” advertising and is further discussed above). These cookies are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. To find out more about interest-based ads and your choices, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Network Advertising Initiative, the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Europe, http://www.allaboutcookies.org, and http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
A cookie can either be a “session” cookie or a “persistent” cookie. Session cookies exist only for so long as you are visiting the applicable website. Session cookies are typically deleted or removed when you exit or quit your browser application. Persistent cookies exist for a set period of time, for example, six months or one year. Each time you visit a website that has implemented a persistent cookie, that cookie will remain active until its predetermined expiration date. You can also manually delete persistent cookies as discussed above.
The Site may also use the following types of tracking technologies: web beacons (also called clear GIFs), flash cookies, and pixels (also called pixel tags). Web beacons are tiny graphics with unique identifiers that functions similar to how cookies function but, in contrast to cookies, web beacons are embedded invisibly on websites. Flash cookies collect and store information about your use of a website and are commonly used for advertisements and videos. Pixel tags can be placed on websites or within emails to track your interactions with those websites and when emails are opened.
Surface Shields is active on social media. You may have the opportunity to comment on those social media platforms regarding Surface Shields and the products we offer and/or to submit or upload related photographs and other materials. Surface Shields reserves the right to post on the Site, other websites, and social media pages any comments, photographs, or content that you post on our social media pages or provide to us through social media.
How We Respond to Do-Not-Track Signals. Due to the automatic collection of data using cookies as described above, we do not honor “do not track” requests. For this reason, your selection of the “Do Not Track” option provided by your browser may not have any effect on our collection of information using cookies and other tracking technologies.
Information from Other Sources. We may obtain data about Site users from various third-party companies and public sources, whether offline or online (such as publicly available social media profiles), and we may combine that data with Collected Information. This enhances our existing information about our users and customers and improves our ability to contact you and our marketing’s relevancy.
The Site uses third-party analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics) to collect and process data about your use of the Site, including when you visit the Site(s), URLs of the websites that you visit prior to visiting the Site and when you visit those websites, and IP addresses assigned to the devices from where you access the Internet. Our analytics providers may set and read cookies to collect this data and your web browser will automatically send data collected by those cookies to our analytics providers. Our analytics providers use this data to provide us with reports that we will use to improve the Site’s structure and content.
We may also use Hotjar analytics services. You may opt out to Hotjar’s creation of a user profile, Hotjar’s storing of data about your usage of the Site, and Hotjar’s use of tracking cookies on other websites by opting out here.
ADVERTISING, REMARKETING & RETARGETING
From time to time the Site may use or participate in advertising networks and related advertising services that are managed and provided by third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors, and research firms, including Google Ads and Facebook Ads. These services collect information about your visits to and interactions with the Site and other websites and will use that information to target advertisements for goods and services and to display those advertisements on other websites. The information collected may be associated with your personal information.
We have implemented the following:
- Remarketing with Google AdSense
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interests Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform Integration
We, along with third-party vendors such as Google use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website. AdWords Remarketing is a Remarketing and Behavioral Targeting service provided by Google. It connects the activity of www.surfaceshields.com with the Adwords advertising network and the Doubleclick Cookie.
If you have a Facebook account but do not wish Facebook to collect data relating to you via the Site, we suggest that you take the steps outlined above under “Social Media.”
For certain Facebook advertising services, Facebook Ireland is a Joint Controller (as defined in the GDPR) and that information required under the GDPR related to such processing can be found at https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy. We work with Facebook and use their advertising services to measure and improve our ads and marketing efforts, as well as to display more relevant advertising to you. For further information on how Facebook Ireland processes your personal information, including the legal basis, and the ways to exercise your rights, please visit https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy.
OPTING OUT OF ADVERTISING, REMARKETING & RETARGETING:
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. For more information, please see the Google’s Safety Center and follow Google’s personalized ad opt-out instructions. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt Out page or the Digital Advertising Alliance Self-Regulatory Program. Please remember that changing your settings with individual web browsers or ad networks will not necessarily carry over to other browsers or ad networks. As a result, depending on the opt-outs you request, you may still see our ads from time to time. Your device may also include a feature (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through apps used for behavioral advertising purposes.
We do not include or offer third-party products or services on our website. The Site incorporates content, including feeds, scripts embedded in the Site’s code, and visible content (e.g., videos), provided by third parties. In some cases, those third parties collect data about how you interact with their content.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS IN THE EEA AND WHERE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW
Rights. To the extent the European Union or United Kingdom’s General Data Protection Regulation or other law granting particular rights to data subjects applies to you (including, without limitation, those located in the United Kingdom) and subject to all applicable exceptions and exemptions granted under such applicable laws, you may have the following rights with regard to our processing of your personal information:
- Right to Access, Correct and Delete Your Personal Information: We will use reasonable measures designed to ensure that all personal information is accurate and up to date. You also have a responsibility to ensure that changes in your personal information are notified to Surface Shields so we can ensure your personal information is up to date. You have the right to request access to any of your personal information that we hold and to request correction of any inaccurate personal information relating to you that we hold. You furthermore have the right to request deletion of personal information we hold about you.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: In the event your personal information is processed on the basis of your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time with effect for the future.
- Data Portability: To the extent that we use your personal information on the basis of consent or for the performance of a contract, and that personal information is processed by automatic means, you have the right to receive all such personal information about you from Surface Shields in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and also to require us to transmit it to another data controller where this is technically feasible.
- Right to Restrict Personal Information Use and Right to Object: You have the right to restrict our use of your personal information where (i) you contest the accuracy of the personal information; (ii) the use is unlawful but you do not want us to erase the personal information; (iii) we no longer need the personal information for the relevant purposes, but you require it for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to our personal information use justified on our legitimate interests pending verification as to whether Surface Shields has compelling interests to continue the relevant personal information use.
- Our Contract With You: Our processing is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you or to perform steps requested by you prior to entering into a contract with you: (e.g., to verify the information you have provided to us).
- Our Legitimate Interests: Our processing is necessary for our legitimate interests, including to protect the security of our services; to protect the health and safety of you or others; to establish, protect and defend our legal rights and interests; to prevent fraud and verify identity and authorization of clients; to understand and analyze usage trends; and to improve our products and services.
- Legal Compliance: Where our processing is required to comply with applicable law (for example, to maintain your payment transaction history for tax reporting purposes) e.g., in response to subpoenas, court orders and other lawful requests by regulators, courts and law enforcement agencies, or related to national security requests.
- Your Consent: When we have your express consent as defined by applicable law.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, UTAH, AND VIRGINIA RESIDENTS AND WHERE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW
Natural persons who reside in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, and Virginia should also review this important notice as applicable law may grant you certain rights.
Collection. In addition to, and consistent with, the uses and sharing described above, Surface Shields and its suppliers may use and disclose personal information as described below:
|PERSONAL INFORMATION||We collect the following subcategories of personal information:||We collect such personal information for the following purposes:|
|Identifiers||Consistent with and in addition to the information set forth in the “Information You Submit” section above:|
First and last name, physical address, telephone number, cellphone number, email address.
Performing services or providing products to you, providing customer services, verifying user information, facilitating access to services or products.
Communicating with you when you have requested support, information, services, etc.
To send promotional communications about us, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
|Internet or other electronic network activity information|
Consistent with and in addition to the “Other Information Collected” section above:
IP addresses, log files, login information, and cookies and device information (e.g., online activity such as date and time of accessing our websites, website addresses accessed, the length of website visit).
Analytical purposes, including, without limitation, to help us improve your access to the Site (for example, by remembering your contact and other information when you access or use the Site), to identify repeat visitors to the Site, to track how you access and use the Site, to learn when and how users visit the Site, to learn how popular Site pages are and aren’t, to learn which search terms are used to find the Site, to learn which websites direct you to the Site, to help display certain information on the Site, and to improve your enjoyment of the Site.
To administer the Site and its servers, to generate statistical information, to monitor and analyze Site traffic and usage patterns, to monitor and help prevent fraud, to investigate complaints and violations of our policies, and to improve the Site.
|Geolocation||Physical address; work / business address, state, region.|
To communicate with you and send you information about our products or services, or to respond to your request for information or products and services.
To send you promotional communications about us and our products or services, to the extent permitted by law.
|Professional or employment-related information||Business contact information, including, but not limited to, job title, place of employment, business phone number, business address.|
Performing the services or providing products, including, without limitation, providing customer services, verifying user information, facilitating access to the Site.
Communicating with users who have requested support, information, or services.
To send you promotional communications about us and our products and services, to the extent permitted by law.
- Our third party service providers;
- Online advertising networks;
- Affiliated and related companies
- Third party websites and mobile applicable (e.g., websites that share information with us or our advertising partners);
- Social media companies;
- Offline at Tradeshows
- Our Sites; and
- Your communications with us.
Rights. Applicable laws in your jurisdiction may grant you certain rights—subject to all applicable limitations, exemptions, or exceptions—regarding our collection and use of your personal information. These rights may include, to the extent applicable and to the extent granted to you under applicable law:
- The right to confirm whether personal information about you is processed and to access such personal information;
- The right to request the disclosure of (1) what personal information has been collected; (2) the categories of sources from which the personal information was collected; (3) the business or commercial purpose for collection or selling personal information; (4) the categories of third parties with whom we share personal information; and (5) the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you (e.g., data portability);
- The right to request the deletion of your personal information that we have collected;
- The right to request the correction of your personal information that we collected;
- The right to opt-out of targeted advertising and the sharing of personal information that is shared for cross-contextual behavioral advertising purposes;
- The right to opt-out of the automated profiling of your personal information in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you;
- The right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information;
- The right to withdraw consent of our processing of your personal information where consent was required by law prior to the initial collection and processing of your personal information;
- The right to limit our processing (or completely opt-out, if allowed under applicable law) of sensitive personal information to what is necessary; and
- The right to not be discriminated against due to your exercise of your rights under applicable law. We do not discriminate against users for exercising the rights granted to them under applicable law.
The above rights are only exercisable by you where the applicable law grants you the right being exerted and where no exception or exemption under applicable law applies. You may also have a registered agent (if and only as permitted under applicable law) that you authorize to act on your behalf. If you have a registered agent act on your behalf, we have the right to authenticate such agent’s authority to act.
We do not use your personal information to profile you in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or significantly similar effects (as may be defined under applicable law).
To exercise the rights described herein (only to the extent applicable), you may submit a verifiable request to us by through the methods set forth under the “Exercise Your Rights” section below.
EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS
Visiting: Data Subject Rights Request Form
Only you or a registered agent (if and only as permitted under applicable law) that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. If you have a registered agent act on your behalf, we have the right to authenticate such agent’s authority to act. Without limiting the foregoing, the verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
We will respond to your request within the applicable timeframe required under applicable law. If we deny your request, you can appeal such denial by submitting a Data Subject Rights Request Form.
Personal information collected for the purposes related to the performance of a contract or agreement between you and Surface Shields will be retained until such contract or agreement has been fully performed. We may be required to retain personal information for a longer period of time where required to do so under applicable law or government order.
ACCURACY AND SECURITY
Personal data you provide to us should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up to date. We value your trust in providing us your information; however, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable. We cannot guarantee the security of Collected Information.
CROSS BORDER TRANSFER
Due to the fact our business is international, we have centralized elements of our business and our processing of Collected Information, including, without limitation, personal information. Accordingly, where we are permitted to do so under applicable law, we may transfer your personal information outside of the nation where you reside. Where required by applicable law, your prior consent will be obtained for such transfers, or we have ensured that your personal information included in such a transfer is adequately protect through the use of contractual clauses or other adequate measures allowed under such applicable law.
The Site is not directed at children under 16 years of age. Surface Shields does not knowingly collect or use information from children under 16 through the Site.
8450 W. 183rd Place
Tinley Park, IL 60487